As part of the ABJHI research intake process, a research application must be submitted.
ABJHI welcomes research applications for data extracts and/or to collaborate on research projects focusing on musculoskeletal health.
The ABJHI Data Repository contains data on bone and joint health patients from multiple custodians (AHS and physicians).
ABJHI use of the data repository must abide by the following: Health Information Act; Affiliation agreements between ABJHI and custodians; AHS Privacy Standard for non-identifying health information/ IPO-2013-0004.
Data custodians of the ABJHI data repository may request their own data at any time, apart from the intake process. If the custodian wishes to link their data with data from other custodians, or have analysis completed for their data, the request will proceed through the research intake process.
Health System Design and Change Management
» Centralized Intake
» Multi-disciplinary Assessment
» Referral Management
» Current State
» Care Pathways
» Shared Decision Making
Data extraction requests are not required to fit within the priority areas, whereas, requests for analytic and/or project management services must. Research priorities are intended to define areas of need for urgent seminal knowledge. Through this prioritized approach, ABJHI can intensify research efforts that help inform effective strategies in improving patient health across Alberta. At the same time, we maintain the flexibility to respond to emerging needs and to consider the merits of individual projects that may contribute to other worthwhile goals.
- Complete application form below—all research projects must be ethically approved*.
- Remit application fee of $500 online or by cheque payable to Alberta Bone and Joint Health Institute. Review of application will begin when payment is received.
*An FAQ document on ABJHI data processes has been prepared to assistant applicants in filling out required information for REB applications. The document is available upon request.
- ABJHI contacts the applicant if any information is missing or requires clarification.
- ABJHI conducts a review of the proposed research to determine completeness, fit with priorities, and required resources.
- ABJHI’s Research Advisory Committee Executive are engaged for their expert council if the scientific merits or approach of a project are unclear.
- A decision is returned to the applicant within two weeks of ABJHI receiving the completed form and payment.
- If approved, the applicant receives a Conditional Acceptance Package including: a decision letter, a research data use agreement, and a proposed budget.
- If the request is not approved, the applicant is notified of the reason for the decision.
ABJHI accepts PayPal or cheque. After submitting the application form below, you will be automatically taken to PayPal to process payment of the application fee. Alternatively, you can mail a cheque payable to Alberta Bone and Joint Health Institute to the address below:
Alberta Bone and Joint Health Institute
316, 400 Crowfoot Crescent NW
Calgary, AB T3G 5H6